Do you run a business in the modern era? If so, you need to make sure you have a strong online presence. The vast majority of people use the internet when looking for products and services they require, but you also need to make sure you stay safe.
It is great that people can use the internet to work from just about anywhere, but what happens if someone gets access to your confidential files. That is why you need to prioritize cybersecurity. What is cybersecurity, and why is it so important? Take a look at a few important points below, and remember to reach out to a professional if you have any questions or concerns about your digital safety.
What Is Cybersecurity?
So, what is cybersecurity? Well, cybersecurity refers to all measures you take to protect your information against potential digital threats. One way to up-level your security is through the use of two-factor authentication. This means that people are going to require two sets of credentials to access your most important information. This could include a username and password combination along with an automated code that is sent to a phone as a text message. Having two steps is important because it can protect your information if someone surrenders their login credentials or has them stolen by a cyber-criminal.
Cybersecurity is important because it helps you take proactive measures to protect against potential viruses and malware. Network security is also critically important. This means educating your employees to ensure they do not share their confidential information with people who should not have access to your files. If you prioritize your network security, you can maximize your uptime, helping you maximize your productivity.
Many people are interested in IT security vs. cybersecurity, and there is a tremendous amount of overlap. You may think that you can handle all of your cybersecurity needs on your own, but it is always better to rely on a professional. You need to work with someone who stays up-to-date on the latest advances in the field.
This is important because hackers are continuously working to find ways to get around your cybersecurity measures. Furthermore, if you can show your customer base that you are prioritizing digital security, they will trust you to protect their confidential information. This is an important part of expanding your company in the modern era, so you should rely on a professional service that can help you protect your digital assets.
Why Is Cybersecurity Important?
Information technology and cybersecurity go hand-in-hand. When you think about information security or cybersecurity, information security is an integral part of cybersecurity. So, what are some of the most common reasons companies suffer a cybersecurity breach? There are several common causes. These include:
- No Updates: If you see a small logo on your computer telling you to update your software, it can be annoying. On the other hand, this is incredibly important if you want to protect your information. That software is there for a reason, and you need to make sure you cover any vulnerabilities that may have been uncovered.
- Legacy Equipment: There is also a chance that a cyber-security breach might happen due to legacy equipment being used. What this means is that companies are using equipment that is incredibly outdated. While purchasing new hardware can be expensive, it will help you stay safe. You may want to work with a professional who can help you source new equipment.
- No Education: A lot of companies suffer cybersecurity breaches because they do not educate their employees. You need to make sure your employees understand what they need to do to reduce the chances of a breach taking place. For example, encourage your employees to change their passwords regularly. That way, they can reduce the chances of having their information stolen.
- No Backup Plan: Finally, companies need to have a strong backup plan in place. Even though a lot of attention is paid to malware, natural disasters can still be a significant problem. A severe storm can take a company completely offline, possibly destroying its data in the process.
These are just a few of the most common reasons businesses might suffer a cybersecurity breach, regardless of whether this is a natural disaster or a cyber breach. The damage that a breach of this nature can cause can be severe. For example, companies may face significant fines if an investigation shows that their defenses were not adequate. Furthermore, companies may lose a significant amount of revenue due to their operations being taken offline. Finally, future revenue may also be lost if people are going to lose confidence in the company.
That is why companies need to follow a standard set of rules that can help them reduce their chances of suffering a cybersecurity issue. It is also critical for businesses to work with a trained, professional team that can help them keep their information safe moving forward.
It is critically important to take a look at cybersecurity classes and cybersecurity training for employees. Cybersecurity training is essential because the only way a company will stay safe is if everyone is involved. The defenses of a company are only as strong as its weakest links. Therefore, even people who do not have much technical experience need to go through training classes to learn how to prevent cybersecurity threats from unfolding.
Numerous areas have to be covered when it comes to cybersecurity training. For example, companies need to know about ransomware. The best way to deal with a ransomware attack is to prevent it from happening in the first place. A lot of ransomware attacks start with phishing attacks. Employees need to know what this looks like, so they do not surrender their log-in credentials to someone who should not have access to the system.
It is also important to focus on continuing education. What this means is that employees need to come back for routine training. New threats are unfolding everyday, and businesses need to make sure they are aware of them. Then, they need to make sure their employees understand how to protect against them.
It can be difficult for companies to put together a comprehensive training program all on their own. Therefore, it is better to work with a professional company that has experience in this area. That way, all of the most important topics are covered, and employees know what they need to do to keep themselves safe from harm.
It is also important to take a closer look at cybersecurity insurance for businesses. Breaking news in cybersecurity has shown that liability insurance to protect against a potential hack is an essential measure for companies.
When taking a look at cybersecurity tech news, even small businesses are being targeted by hackers. As a result, all companies need to look at their current insurance policies and see if they are protected against this type of liability. What happens if a company has to pay a ransom? What happens if the company has to purchase a bunch of new equipment? What happens if the company is unable to generate revenue for a few days? There needs to be an insurance policy in place to protect against these potential problems.
Of course, it is also vital to invest in equipment that can prevent breaches from taking place. That is why it may be helpful to store financial data off-site. It is also essential for companies to think carefully about using a password manager. All of these measures are important because they can make a significant difference in the ability of a company to stay afloat. It can be challenging to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each option, so it may be beneficial to work with a professional team that has been there before. Let Exact IT be that team!
Cybersecurity Experts in Indianapolis
If you live in the local Indianapolis area, you understand that this city is growing quickly. There are lots of people who are coming to the area for work, school, and numerous other reasons. Even though there are multiple opportunities available, you need to make sure you protect yourself with proper cybersecurity measures. If you are looking for Indiana cybersecurity professionals, then look no further!
As one of the top Indiana tech cybersecurity options, we offer a wide variety of features to help you stay safe. All of our cybersecurity plans feature multiple plans of action. These include:
- Enterprise Antivirus Protection: This is a comprehensive blanket that will protect you against numerous threats. That way, you can focus on your daily business operations, knowing that you are being kept safe against potential cybersecurity threats. Your organization will be protected under automated incident reporting, and you will have access to monitoring 24 hours per day, seven days a week. You will also get access to real-time scanning, ensuring you understand exactly what is happening with your business.
- Endpoint Detection Response: You will also have access to endpoint detection response. What this means is that artificial intelligence algorithms are offering a new layer of protection. They are continuing to monitor your applications even if there is no malicious activity detected. Forensic research and analysis tools can identify threats to your company. Then, all of this information is automatically analyzed to figure out if any threats are present and what needs to be done to remove them.
- Security Operations Center: Even though we have a wide variety of advanced tools that we can use to keep you safe, there are still trained professionals who are monitoring your information. If any threats are detected, they will be escalated to a professional with a tremendous amount of experience. We will keep you updated every step of the way, making sure you understand exactly what is happening with your information and what we are doing to protect it.
With so many people working remotely in the current environment, you need to make sure you understand what you need to do to improve the security of your business data. If you decide to rely on a managed service, you can save a significant amount of time and money.
You can reduce the frequency of acute IT calls, and you can avoid having to hire your own internal department. For this reason, learn more about what Exact IT can do to help you improve your security. That way, you can protect your information, instill confidence in your consumers, and stay one step ahead of your competitors. Reach out today to learn more and request a consultation!